maandag, februari 20, 2006

Under a spell

I was heading home from work today. So tired, so hungry, aiming only at getting there as quickly as possible. As i was getting closer to the central train station that i have to pass by, i heard music. Most surprising in a place like this. Not street musicians - you can't find them here in the middle of the winter anyway. No. And there were lights...

Everything was different and i had to stop and look for the source of it all. There is this old pond surrounding the walls of the Old Town, an abandoned and gloomy place at night, but today everything was different. A Strauss waltz playing, lamps covering the trees surrounding the pond.

There were people skating. For a while i just stood there, absolutely enchanted by what was going on in front of my eyes. It was a fairytale and yet so real. Human mind is a funny thing, all my worries seemed so far away and i felt like going back in time, to some different era, to an entirely different atmosphere. I knew where i was, i was inside the story of Silver Skates that i read when i was maybe seven years old. The pond was not a pond at all, it had turned into a canal now and i had gone to Holland, 150 years back in time.

I smiled and people who passed by looked at me with a question reflecting from their faces. Can't one be happy just because there is music, lights and a little miracle on the way home? You have no idea, i thought looking at them, but all this is here only because i needed this. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find it all vanished tomorrow, but it doesn't matter. What matters is now.

After a while i felt recharged again. I closed my eyes for the last time, quietly hummed along with On the Beautiful Blue Danube while it played. Then i turned away and came home, smiling.

And spring doesn't seem that far away anymore :)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

I love that picture. Is it of a real place?
We have the same taste in Blog setup.

11:51  
Blogger Karin said...

Sorry to disappoint you, just a piece of art :)
I did like your sharp style of writing a lot, have to review your blog more thoroughly later ;)
Btw don't you think it was one of the few available templates that won't jump in your face?

12:42  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

Yeah - the template was the only one that didn't scream "horrid bright colour - hard to read" at me

Great Art. I must also read more of your blog later, I was skimming through many blogs having a general look-see and became intrigued by someone with same taste as me.
No need for sad photo on reciprocal blog btw.
My blog set-up is all very tongue-in-cheek to experiment with how it all works. It will probably end up being something totally different. But it keeps me disciplined at maintaining the writing. Cheers.

02:36  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

I meant to ask if you would mind being listed as a link on my blog?
I'd love to refer any readers to see that Art? And any others you may post?
Is Tallinn a surname, or place? (Pardon my ignorance)

06:11  
Blogger Karin said...

Oh, i'd be honored... :)
Tallinn is a place. It's a capital of Estonia

08:30  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

I had a peek at your Links - Tallinn looks a lovely place.
It has been over 10 years since I was last in Europe - the tourism pics make me want to visit again.
I didn't get as far as the Baltics last time.
I've put you on as a link on my site.
The digi cards are cool.

23:19  
Blogger Karin said...

Thanks, so nice of you to put my blog on your site. Can i do the same with yours?
Tallinn is indeed a nice place, but i'd only recommend it in the summer. Way too cold and gloomy now.
And i've never been outside Europe...

00:11  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

You are welcome to put my site on your Blog, please do.
When you do get outside of Europe come and visit New Zealand. It is small, clean, green and easy to travel. Very pretty too.
I sure hope I get back your way one day, and I'll make it in the summer.

09:27  
Blogger Joonas said...

Compared to Helsinki, just across the bay in Finland, during the winter, Tallinn is downright cheerful, chilly though it may be. Recommended, if you happen over here outside of Summer. Plenty of cool little restaurants to check out.

We like to go to Tallinn just to eat really well. The boat ride is an hour or two and it's so affordable that you're actually saving money, compared to an evening in a good restaurant in Helsinki. That, and the people are friendlier. :)

22:44  
Blogger Karin said...

Joonas, the way yo described my beloved home town almost makes me to like it too ;)
Kidding, i do like it. But it was very nice to hear nevertheless and, thank you.
Well, we go to Finland during the sales season mostly :p and to see Santa of course!

23:44  

Een reactie posten

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page